Acupuncture for Smoking Cessation: Safe and Effective
Studies have shown that acupuncture stimulates the release of pain relieving endorphins and mood regulating neurotransmitters. These endogenous substances help to alleviate the symptoms of withdrawal from nicotine. Success is increased by combining acupuncture with patient education, counseling, and/or support groups like Nicotine Anonymous. This effective combination of therapies reflects an ethical and holistic approach to addiction.
Preparing to become Smoke-Free:
- Develop a clear intent to stop smoking.
- Observe what role cigarettes and/or other nicotine products play in your life and social network.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our experienced acupuncture practitioners.
- Understand that addiction requires a comprehensive approach.
Let’s get started!
- Schedule all three appointments choosing from one of two treatment options listed below.
- Throw away all nicotine products.
- Remove ashtrays from your home and office.
- Clean out car.
- Eight to twelve hours before your first appointment abstain from all nicotine products-including the nicotine patch, nicotine gum or nasal spray.
- Seek education, counseling, and support. For example, contact Nicotine Anonymous- 404-244-8444; www.nicotine-anonymous.org or call Metro Acupuncture for referral to a licensed counselor.
Option 1: Treatment Plan:
Initial Consultation and 1st treatment-Monday
Option 2: Treatment Plan:
Initial Consultation and 1st treatment-Friday
Helpful Hints while becoming Smoke-Free:
Drink plenty of filtered water during the process.
Eating a variety of vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and healthy fats in small but frequent meals, improves mood and prevents weight gain.
Manage your cravings: they will actually fade within a few minutes. When they arise, distract yourself. Before you know it, they will pass.
Scrub your skin with a dry brush or loofah to facilitate the cleansing process and help blood circulation.
Avoid alcohol and spending time with other smokers so that you are less tempted to smoke.
Enjoy a daily walk outside and take deep breaths. When exhaling, gently place your teeth together and exhale with the sound of “sssssssssss.” This sound stimulates the lungs.
Some possible stumbling blocks to becoming smoke-free are stress, anxiety, increased food cravings, and depression; acupuncture treatments calm and relax the mind, reducing anxiety and alleviating depressive feelings.
You are coming back to life more fully!
Over the next few weeks and months you’ll begin to become aware of new smells and tastes, fuller deeper breathing and an overall feeling of wellness and joy. Rejoice in your accomplishments.
We at Metro Acupuncture know that in addition to good times, there may be challenges – we’re here to help.
Prescription herbs may be recommended for you in your first thirty days after initial treatment. We offer an on-demand auricular acupuncture treatment as Supportive Care.
When cravings or emotional struggles arise, stop by our office and receive our Supportive Care service. As your smoke-free lifestyle becomes second nature, there will be less need for Supportive Care because of increased strength and confidence in living a smoke-free life.
$350 Initial Consultation (Includes acupuncture treatment and 2 follow up visits)
$35 Supportive Care (As needed for 30 days after 1st treatment)
$45 One month supply of a Standard Herbal Prescription